I will soon be talking in schools in my role as a STEM Ambassador and hope some of you might help me with an endeavour. With the introduction of a new computing curriculum in schools, I will be talking to school pupils about computing in the wide world and what an education in computing might lead to. I am not ‘selling’ computing over other subjects, I am letting people know about the opportunities that computing can lead to.
One thing I would really like to do is make a video, because listening to a myriad of lovely, interesting people will be even better than just me, talking.
I hope you’re interested. If you are, what follows is a little more detail on how you can help turn my presentation into something special.
Using a web cam, phone or other video recording device (a steady one, if you can, maybe a tripod); make a short (30 seconds to 2 minutes) video introduction of (pick any of these you like):
- Your name, where you’re from and what you do.
- How you know me, or met me, or even just your Bacon number.
- Why you like (love/get fanatical/are inspired by) computing.
- How you learned or studied computing, and what discipline you chose.
- How you use computing in the things you do every day.
- What you hope to do with computing in the future.
- Why you would love to be studying computing for the first time, today.
If you decide to help me out, please leave a comment and I will organise collection and answer any questions you might have. Please keep it school safe! I don’t want to edit your message into oblivion to avoid being banned from schools. If you’re a wizard at video editing and can make an extra special job of it, please do so. I will be learning video editing as I go a long.
I volunteer my time to STEM activities, so I do not have a budget for this activity. I will be relying on your generosity and your time – both highly valued. I will need your permission to use the videos for the purpose of inspiring the new computing generation. If you wish me to follow a specific license, please tell me.